What We Do
Rosemary and Time is a social enterprise. We take gardening activities into all kinds of locations, making it possible for absolutely anyone to join in and enjoy the benefits of getting a bit grubby.
We all know just how beneficial gardening can be, the excitement of seeing the first seed of the season germinating, the satisfaction of eating a strawberry that you have grown yourself, or the hours that can be blissfully lost just watching the birds, bees and butterflies making the most of your outdoor space, no matter how small it is.
This does not have to end just because your abilities have changed or because a loved one needs more of your attention now. We take our activities into care homes, dementia cafes and a wide range of community settings, enjoying the company of people of all ages. Together we have some fun with all sorts of gardening tasks, including planting up pots of fruit, vegetables and herbs, making bird feeders, and generally reminiscing about gardening. Or sessions usually result in people having something to take home and keep their interest until the next time we meet.
One of the most important aspects of our community based workshops is that members of a family can come together and just be husband and wife or father and daughter, not carer and person living with dementia. For an hour or more, it is not about the dementia, or indeed, any other challenge anyone may be facing, it is just about loved ones enjoying some time together and taking home something they have created themselves.
In order to fund the service we offer we have two sources of income. Firstly, we apply for grants from people like the National Lottery and other smaller pots.
However, we know that this is not a sustainable method of financing our activities.
Here is how we earn some of our income
- We grow plants, specifically those that are attractive to bees, butterflies and other pollinators, and sell them at local events and farmer's markets.
- We create wildlife habitats, including bird boxes, bug hotels and hedgehog homes for sale.
- We supply care homes with subsidised priced activity sessions.
- We provide training for those wishing to learn more about gardening as a means of support for various groups or indeed how to keep on gardening as the body becomes less willing than the mind. These are open to individuals as well as professionals.
- We provide bespoke consultancy and training to organisations wishing to develop the skills of their staff
- We are now developing a scheme that will improve mental health in the workplace through gardening.
If you are interested to learn more about any of these services please do contact us.